Monday, May 21, 2007

Would You Believe...

Remember my posts from a couple of weeks ago, about my family camping trips attracting natural disasters? I was really just referring to big camping trips involving my whole family and my dad's motor home. But my husband and I have a small camper that fits on the back of his truck. I guess since we have a small camper, we attract small disasters.




We went to a nearby lake to camp this past weekend. At one point, we made a run into town to buy some groceries. When we came back, we got within about a half a mile of the campground, and--would you believe it--saw smoke blanketing the highway and firetrucks stopping the traffic. We had to turn around and make a huge detour to get to the campground.

I asked Dave, "Do you think it was a car burning or a wildfire?" He said, "Looked like a woods fire."

Oh great, I thought. Half the state's been burning for weeks. Now our camping jinx is going to set the other half on fire.

Fortunately, the blaze was quickly extinguished. Thank you, wonderful Georgia firefighters! But he was right. When I drove home Sunday, I saw about a hundred yards of burned trees. It could have been a horrible disaster.

On a positive note, I read an entire novel this weekend. May not sound like much to the rest of you, but I've been having readers' block along with writers' block of late. I think I've made myself read too many books either because they were given to me to review, or I thought I needed to read them as a learning experience. I actually picked up Waking Lazarus by T.L. Hines as the latter category. But wow, what a great read! This was the first book that I just couldn't put down in a long time. Can't wait to read more by him. If you want to read something spooky, suspenseful, and completely unique, I highly recommend it.

5 comments:

  1. What lake is that? We used to camp at Lanier a lot. It's a gorgeous view! But you really might need to quit camping from the sounds of things! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathleen, this is Lake Juliette. It's just outside of Juliette, Georgia--where the movie Fried Green Tomatoes was filmed. Juliette is neat because they still have the little town set up like the movie set, including the Whistle Stop Cafe. And the lake is beautiful. Very quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it exciting to discover a new author or book you really like? I just discovered a couple of authors I really like who write books with medieval settings.

    I'm so glad your campsite was safe from the fire!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea! I can't believe I finally figured out how to post on your site! I'm postally(?) challenged. But now I can't think of anything to say. More later...

    ReplyDelete