Thursday, May 24, 2007

See, I Told You So


This is what encouragement looks like.

I said I was going to publish a guest blog today. But I'm going to postpone that until next week. I feel like offering some encouragement of my own today.

Here is a direct quote from yesterday's post: "So today, I vent! Tomorrow, I'm sure I'll be able to let you know how good God is, and what he has done to encourage me and keep me going. He always does."

I knew it, I knew it! Whenever I'm lagging like that, God always gives me just what I need to keep going one more time.

Last night, I received back my scoresheets and comments from the Genesis contest judges. Two were lukewarm and so-so. One, however, gave me a great score and was very enthusiastic about my work. In every category, her comments were positive. She ended with a comment, "Thanks for keeping the pages turning." She also signed her name, so I can tell that she's a successful, multi-published author in my genre.

As I said yesterday, I haven't had much enthusiasm over my work in awhile--not like I used to get. I don't have to be published or win contests, but every now and then, I need some indication that my writing is working. That someone finds it interesting and gets excited about it. As usual, God knew exactly what I needed to help me take one more step. That's what it's all about. One foot in front of the other. One step at a time.

A verse in the Bible says, "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." I can't remember where I heard this--probably in a sermon at church. But someone compared this "lamp" to a flashlight. When it's really dark and you use a flashlight, it only lights up a little spot right in front of your feet. It does not light up the entire area for half a mile. You can't see to the end of the road. But you can see where to plant your foot next. One step at a time.


And that's what God always does for me.






4 comments:

  1. Great feedback---from you and your multi-pubbed author! You go, girl. am LOVING the doggie pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, Robin! That's exciting that you got some great comments from that author. Cool. :-)
    Out of my two entries, I've only gotten scores from one. They were so widely varying that I had to have a discrepancy judge. The low-scoring judge's comments were somewhat. . . weird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God's good about that whole encouragement thing. I received an abysmal score on a contest once and was told to review basic grammar. (I'm an English tutor.) Continuing to read through that judge's comments, I discovered she misspelled something in almost every one. 'Made me feel vindicated. LOL See Melanie? You're not the only one with weird comments. Keep going, your majesty! The Lord continues to work and will continue to perfect that in you until you see Him!
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathleen, you're so right!!! LOL
    I got my scores for my second book back and one judge gave it a 58! I was quite upset. Then today, the very next day, I find out the same book finaled in another contest, The Dixie First Chapter. Go figure!

    ReplyDelete