Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Oh, What a Tangled Mess I've Knitted

A few weeks ago, I posted about my new passion for crafts, like knitting and making beaded jewelry. I talked about losing much of my enthusiasm for writing, and about the peace and contentment that comes from making things with my hands.

Well, God may be trying to tell me something. I tried to follow a knitted shawl pattern and, after a few days of working on it, realized I needed to rip it out and start over. Easier said than done. I was using a tricky ribbon yarn which refused to ravel back into a nice, neat line. Ever tried to unravel about 50 feet of tangled Christmas lights? Yeah, it was like that.

I hated to just give up and throw the yarn away, because it's expensive, but eventually I decided to just give it to Wendy to play with.

She didn't want it, either.

Then I turned to beading. We went on one of our camping trips, and I sat out under the trees at a picnic table, working on a necklace for my mom for Mother's Day, then another one for myself. Ah...sweet tranquility.

The necklace for my mother came apart three times while I was working on it. (When it was almost finished each time, of course.) My necklace waited until the day I wore it to work, then fell apart. Thirty-three inches of beading, mostly tiny seed beads. Did I mention it came apart in my car? There will be beads rolling around in those floorboards until that little Mercury is scrap metal.

I haven't done much beading lately. On the positive side, I'm starting to enjoy writing again.

I love my writing.

5 comments:

  1. Is that trellis yarn? If it'll make you feel any better, that stuff untangles a lot easier without disintegrating than chenille or boucle (both of which I've had to fight with until tendonitis made crocheting impossible). At least your necklace came apart in the car and not during a major presentation at work. ;^D 'Glad to hear you're enjoying your writing again!
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very astute of you! It is indeed trellis yarn. I've started back over on the shawl and it's going better this time. I think next time I'll just try some plain old wool, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! I've just been feeling guilty--again--because I stopped scrapbooking to write. Now I can't seem to get motivated to scrapbook at all. Those wonderful memories of my kids' toddlerhood and early childhood are just sitting in a drawer. No one can look at them there. Sigh. *Guilt* I keep thinking that maybe when my kids are both in school I'll set aside one day a week, or two days a month, to scrapbook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, that trellis yarn can be a disaster to rip. Ditto chenille yarn. Broken projects help make the successful ones that much sweeter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you got back to writing, Robin! Much less messy - no glue, beads, kinks and all those nasty little things that happen. I enjoy my writing most of everything I do - well... except for playing the piano, of course.

    ReplyDelete