Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Buried in the Back Yard II

A few months ago, I wrote a post called Buried in the Back Yard, when I learned that a Confederate soldier and his sons had been buried in the woods behind the house where I lived as a child. My family never knew this until the land was cleared for a housing and shopping development and the graves were discovered.

I now have another wild "buried in the back yard" story. (My family seems to draw these things.) My brother-in-law and his family live in Nashville. The first time we visited them there, Dave's brother picked us up at the airport and started asking what we would like to see while visiting. Dave started rattling off old-time country stars. "Minnie Pearl," Dave would say. "Dead," Paul would answer. This went on for awhile until Dave said, "Johnny Cash," and of course we waited for the usual answer. Instead we heard, "He's buried in our back yard."

We laughed.

A few minutes later, we turned into their driveway. Guess what we discovered? By golly, Johnny Cash is buried in their back yard.

Okay, technically, it's not a part of their yard. But the cemetery is right behind their house. Here's a picture from their patio.




Of course we had to walk over and see for ourselves.


Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash are buried side by side, and several other members of the Carter family are close by, including Mother Maybelle.

I'm not sure which is stranger, having Confederate soldiers or a famous singer buried in your back yard. All I know is, I hope the competition ends here.

4 comments:

  1. What's spooky is not knowing. Our dogs kept bringing good-sized bones out of the forest. I told my husband that the second they brought a human skull to the door, I was out of there!

    I do know we have a full-sized cow buried somewhere on the land and we have a pet cemetary of a gray squirrel (probably not gray anymore!), three rats, and a bunny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my, we had so many dogs buried in our yard when I was a kid! They were always dying on us! We had to remember where we buried them so as not to dig them up the next time we had to bury a pet. Of course, that wasn't usually a problem. My brother and I would wooden crosses and bring flowers and such for a while after they died.

    I've always loved visiting old cemetaries. The older the better. The graves have such an aura of history and story around them. An entire life story is buried with the person, and there's a mystery there that is fun to guess at from the clues revealed by the headstones. Call me weird. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun story, robin. Our dogs bring in old bones, but they are usually of cows or deer on the farm. Hope that's all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You need to talk to my pastor, Robin. He was born in a funeral home. (I'm not kidding; his father was an undertaker.) I'll be curious to see what else you "uncover."

    ReplyDelete