Monday, September 8, 2008

A Sad Excuse

Wow. It's been a LONG time since I posted anything. I was going to sit down and do another one of those cutesie "Top Ten Excuses" lists for why I haven't blogged. And I do have several reasons, including extra evening shifts at work, the guest blogger who stood me up for the second time (yet swears she needs influencers!), an icky virus, etc., etc.

But I don't feel like making a cute list now. While I was laid up with the icky virus, I didn't give my cats as much attention as usual. Even so, it started to penetrate through my antihistamine-drugged consciousness that Cera wasn't her usual self. For one thing, she hadn't suggested tuna fish even once, and normally she demands tuna at least once a day. In fact, she hadn't poked her nose out of the guest room where she likes to snooze.

Then I started noticing other things. How painfully skinny she's gotten. How wobbly she is when she walks. In other words, she was displaying all the symptoms her sister did when she was 20--right before she died of kidney failure.

So, even though I was home on a sick day for myself, we went to the animal doctor for Cera. And he confirmed that her kidneys are shutting down and there's not much we can do. Fortunately, he didn't suggest I put her to sleep. At least not yet. He said to take her home and let her enjoy her life as long as she can, which could be a day or a couple of months.

So anyway, as Lemony Snicket would say, it's been a series of unfortunate events, and that last one has sort of blown me away.

When you're saying your prayers tonight, put in a word for Cera, if you will. Aside from that stubborn streak about groomers and medicine, she's been a wonderful little friend. On second thought, I probably need you to put in a good word for me even more!

7 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm so sorry, Robin. You've had her for a long time, so I know you'll miss your friend. So sorry about all the other unfortunate events, too. I'll say a prayer for you and Cera.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry Robin....I can cheer you up with a story.

    As you know I'm getting used to dorm life. Well part of that is critters making their way into your room. My roommate woke up to a lizard staring at her. He has crawled all over the room and crawled all over several of us. Our whole hall came in to shoo him out and it didn't work. I finally bit the bullet and went to sleep. I awake at 3 in the morning with him on me. My roommate and I end up calling public safety to come get him. They find him but can't catch him. 30 minutes later he crawls to the top of the window and we were able to catch him.
    Crazy huh.....this is a part of college life that I was definitely not prepared for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very sorry about Cera. I will pray for her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry about Cera, Robin! Let us know how she's doing. I hope you get a lot of extra days with her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Robin, I really hate to hear that you're having such a rough time. What will Wendy do without Cera to harass/partner in crime with? I hope you can get a breather and enjoy more time than expected with your evil, little, furry friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry, Robin, that you've been going through a series of unfortunate events, topped by the illness of your cat. I'll be praying that you have a smooth leave-taking from Cera. I'm not a cat person, but I can still certainly understand the painful emotions you're going through.

    By the way, thanks for your comment on my blog about Men Are From Cyberspace ... I think communication, or the lack of it, is really interesting.

    Are you going to be at ACFW?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Robin, so sorry to hear all these unfortunate events! Prayers for you and Cera. love, rose

    ReplyDelete