Monday, August 18, 2008

The Great Kitten Caper


Is this a cutie or what?

She better be. I went through enough to get her yesterday.

Last week, my hairdresser told me that someone had dumped two tiny kittens at her house, and she couldn't keep them because her dog considered them squeaky toys, and her indoor cat would see them as rivals--something he absolutely doesn't tolerate.

My wonderful mother said she would take the two babies, a male and female. Dave and I were camping somewhat near my hairdresser's house. Well, nearer than we usually are, anyway. So I thought this would be an excellent time to pick them up. I plugged her address into my GPS to see if it knew where Traci lived. It swore that it did, and I trusted that confident GPS Lady voice of hers. And away we went.

A few minutes later, GPS Lady directed me to turn onto a dirt road. "Are you sure?" I asked her. She seemed pretty positive, so I turned. I drove down miles of red dirt road, seeing nothing on either side but woods and the occasional abandoned, falling-down house. I had no idea that dirt roads registered with satellites and GPS systems, but apparently they do. My GPS Lady seems to love them. She took me down about four of them to reach Traci's house and the kittens.

Or maybe GPS Lady just hates me. Traci sort of laughed when I told her how I came. It wasn't exactly the normal route. But that wasn't the worst of it. I just happened to see that GPS Lady actually directed me PAST Traci's house number, telling me that the house was another mile down the road. However, I got suspicious when the pavement petered out and a very narrow, muddy road led into the woods. I mean, wide, dirt roads are one thing. I tend to balk at logging trails. I called Traci and sure enough, GPS Lady was lying to me.

Why she wanted to take me into the woods I don't know. I think it was an ambush. Maybe she dislikes cats. Either way, I fetched the kittens back home to my mother, and they're definitely worth it. She was having fun this morning, watching them play.

Interestingly enough, I'm the one who got Traci her tom cat who won't tolerate rivals and started this whole mess. Back when he was younger, he needed a home, too. I guess what goes around comes around.

It's Traci's turn next!

4 comments:

  1. Oh how fun! She really is cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kittens are so sweet and cuddly. Not that I ever want one. Life is busy enough as it is. I kind of feel bad that my kids haven't had kitten and puppy experience (and, please God, never will). Mother guilt.

    So, Robin, will you ever be able to trust GPS Lady again?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like the beginning of a good suspense novel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute cat! We just got a dog from the animal shelter last week to take the place of our 15 year old lab who died last Christmas. We've had some wild experiences, too, bathing him and trying to fasten him to the fence the second night to make sure he didn't run away before he got used to our farm. He got stuck under the fence and my DH who was already undressed for bed had to go out and get him untangled. We finally left him unhooked and he has stayed in the unfenced yard ever since except when we take him for a walk. He has dug a couple holes in the yard, but that is a small price to pay! I love Sally's idea of following a GPS system down a country road and it leading to a mystery! My friends have a GPS and they talk back to their girl, too. They call her Lola! LOL

    ReplyDelete