Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Back from the Wilds of...my Back Yard

The camping trip didn't happen. Various family issues kept us from making the trip to the beach with the R.V. However, I still took my long weekend and basically camped on our back porch.



My extremely talented husband just added this screened porch to the back of our house. He did the work all by himself. (A relative once asked if I help Dave with all these projects. I said yes--I stay out of his way. That's about all I'm good for in the carpentry area.)

Then, to make up for our canceled trip, he bought me the most comfortable chaise lounge in the world.




I've wanted one of these babies for a long, long time.

I spent a lot of my weekend on that new porch, lounging and reading and watching the hummingbirds fight. (Did you know that hummingbirds fight? I didn't until we got a feeder. I thought they were beautiful, sweet, graceful little creatures. I had no idea how mean and territorial they are to one another.)

All in all, it was a wonderful, restful holiday. It was nice to rediscover the joy of sinking into a good book with no time constraints.

Speaking of my talented husband, I mentioned awhile back that he was taking up the dirty old carpet in our bedrooms and refinishing the hardwood floors that were underneath them. He finished that up a few weeks ago, and they're so gorgeous! Here's a picture of our guest room.



Why folks wanted to hide that gorgeous wood under carpet I'm not sure, but finding that hidden treasure is one of the pleasures of having an older house.
Anyway, I'm back to reality now and will try very hard to think of something profound to say for next time. Oh, the pressure!

5 comments:

  1. OOo... nice chaise! And lovely guestroom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, love the guest room! And the chaise! And the time to sit and read! :D

    We have a hibiscus tree outside our living room window, and it attracts hummingbirds. I'll have to watch for a fight now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the guestroom and the chaise! Can I come visit? LOL And I noticed you had a good thick book to read on the chaise. What did you read, and did you get it finished with all the hummingbird disruptions?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, that is an awesome sunroom your hubby built! Wow. I can just see you sitting (or should I say lounging?) there all relaxed.

    Oh, my, the floor is gorgeous! So much better than dirty carpet! And I'm with Rose--I want to visit! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I first opened the email with the latest blog update, I saw the picture before I read anything. And I thought I must be losing my mind; I would've sworn there was no porch there. I thought for sure it was glass doors. LOL Love the new floor in the guest bedroom! It is stunning and really brings a warmth to that room that the carpet previously in there lacked. So, is he attacking the floor in the other bedroom next or taking a little time off? (Not that he would sit still or anything. LOL) The chaise looks comfortable too. I'm with the others: when's the party to show everything off and feed your hubby's ego on his fabulous talent and hard work? And the all-important question: what do Cera and Wendy think of all this?

    ReplyDelete