Friday, October 5, 2007

Yours, Mine, and Ours

I noticed something recently. Whenever I talk about writing, even when I pray about it, I refer to it as “my writing.”

You may not think there’s anything odd about that. It started to jar on me, though, because I’ve tried so hard to give my writing—see, there I go again!—to God. I want it to be whatever He wants it to be. And I’ve tried very hard to turn over to Him all my dreams of publication, too. So why is it still “mine.”

For the past few days, especially when I pray, I’ve tried very hard to call it “your writing.” It’s amazing what a difference that makes in the way I think, in the way I feel. As a writer, I should know the power of words, right? But sometimes I’m still amazed.

See, I’ve always had trouble believing that God cares all that much about what I write. I’ve never had that problem in any other area of my life, but somehow I’ve always felt that I came up with this dream of being a novelist, and I invented these characters that I love, but that God somehow thinks it’s all silly and petty.

But once I’ve given it to him, it seems different. If it belongs to him, it’s his responsibility, too. He’ll make a way for it to succeed, or he’ll decide if that shouldn’t happen. He’ll give me the energy and the time to do his writing, as long as I’m willing to cooperate. I even started to think that he loves my characters as much as I do!

3 comments:

  1. Interesting. I tend to do the same thing. After all, "I'm just a wannabe," right? Novels tend to be a bit cheesy unless they're heavy reading, right? So that makes writing them petty, right? I know there's a fundamental flaw in the thought process there and that it flies in God's face. But it's so easy to slip into the habit even though I know I've been deeply touched and strengthened through some of the books I've read. It doesn't make sense. You've definitely given me something to think about and apply to multiple places in life. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that sounds familar. I have been trying to give things to God this week too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for this late comment, but I've been out of town. :-)
    This gives me something to think about. Thanks, Robin. I've been confused from the beginning about my writing. Somehow I still tend to think of it as my "thing," something that isn't important, that is my hobby. I don't know what to call it!!! I don't really know what it is.

    ReplyDelete