Monday, October 22, 2007

Friendship Bread


I mentioned my recent shopping trip with frequent visitor and commentor Kathleen, and how intimidated I was by her beautiful craft projects. I forgot to mention that, as I was leaving her house, she gave me starter and instructions for Amish Friendship Bread.


Frankly, the bread starter intimidated me, too. You were supposed to do stuff to it every day. Sure, most of it was pretty simple--as simple as mashing the ziplock bag. But did I mention you had to do it every day?


I've explained before how much trouble I seem to have with routine, and doing things on a set schedule. Sure enough, when I reached Day 6 and was supposed to add some ingredients, I realized it about 11:00 at night. You wouldn't believe how I scrounged to come up with a cup of milk. (I will confess that part of it came from a can.)


Somehow, the bread not only survived, but was fabulous. The picture up at the top is proof that I actually stayed the course and baked this bread.


Even more fun, the day for baking fell on my husband's birthday. I bought him a cake (I couldn't bake one, because I was busy with the bread), but he liked the Friendship Bread better. I should have just stuck a candle in it.


And now I have four bags of starter to share with some lucky folks. Don't you wish you lived close by?

8 comments:

  1. I soooooooo wish I lived close by!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That stuff is really good, but he liked it better than birthday cake? :-)
    I tried it once and after a few days forgot about it, then had to throw it away. :-(
    But bravo to you, Robin! See, you can stay the course!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd forgotten about Friendship Bread. I got a starter years ago and kept it up for quite awhile. I remember how yummy it was.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about you drive on up to Toledo, OH and bring me one of those bags.

    ORRR this would be fun,

    we could do a "where's george" and put a special mark on the bag and tell all your friends to do the same. Then we'll see if any of us actually ends up getting one.

    So stick QOP on all of them and tell them to pass it on. I'm waitin' on my bag :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I goofed and thought day 10 was tomorrow on the bag I have here instead of yesterday. Oh well. One extra day won't hurt; I guess I'm baking after lunch. LOL I'm so glad it worked out well for you and proud of you for sticking it out! Now, we just have to get you going on that toile quilt you have fabric for . . . heehee Methinks I see another day trip in the future for one of us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Um, yessss!!!!!!!!!! And not even for the bread.

    ReplyDelete
  7. BTW, Robin, I meant to compliment you on your lovely, artful arrangement to show off your bread. Quite nice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy. It's late right now and that cake is looking very tasty. :)

    Stop by my blog and enter to win a 2008 John Fielder scenic calendar.

    ReplyDelete