Thursday, August 9, 2007

She's Ba-ack

No, that isn't me. Despite the resemblance. But I am back from my vacation to Orlando, where I saw this sea serpent made of Legos at Downtown Disney. We didn't do Disneyworld or any of the other theme parks. It was just too hot. Temperatures were over a hundred. Even the Pirates of the Caribbean ride couldn't tempt me enough to tolerate that.

Although I found lots of Pirate stuff on the trip. Lots of souvenirs in the World of Disney, of course. Even Stitch was wearing a pirate hat.


Also, I started reading The Legend of the Firefish by George Bryan Polivka. So far it's fabulous. A great pirate yarn. I thought I would read the whole thing while I was gone, but I couldn't put down Watching the Tree Limbs by Mary DeMuth. I had to finish it first. It reminded me of some old-fashioned tale like Oliver Twist or Annie, only with very modern evils.

I tried to work on my "every single day" things somewhat. I hadn't been planning to write on vacation, but I took a notebook and tried to keep the story going, even if it was only one or two hundred words at a time. Before the proliferation of word processors (yes, I was already writing way back when), I used to carry a notebook around with me and write in little snippets by hand all the time. I think it helped keep me focused on the story, and I think I'm going to try to start doing it again.

What else did I do? I knitted two and a half out of nine squares for a new afghan. I lay around the pool and in it, trying to stay cool. And I'm proud to say I had my daily devotions.

I don't know if I'll ever be an "every day" girl, but I'll be happy if I can just maintain my own steady pace.

Keep cool, everyone. It's supposed to be 102 degrees here tomorrow!