Thursday, August 9, 2007

She's Ba-ack

No, that isn't me. Despite the resemblance. But I am back from my vacation to Orlando, where I saw this sea serpent made of Legos at Downtown Disney. We didn't do Disneyworld or any of the other theme parks. It was just too hot. Temperatures were over a hundred. Even the Pirates of the Caribbean ride couldn't tempt me enough to tolerate that.

Although I found lots of Pirate stuff on the trip. Lots of souvenirs in the World of Disney, of course. Even Stitch was wearing a pirate hat.


Also, I started reading The Legend of the Firefish by George Bryan Polivka. So far it's fabulous. A great pirate yarn. I thought I would read the whole thing while I was gone, but I couldn't put down Watching the Tree Limbs by Mary DeMuth. I had to finish it first. It reminded me of some old-fashioned tale like Oliver Twist or Annie, only with very modern evils.

I tried to work on my "every single day" things somewhat. I hadn't been planning to write on vacation, but I took a notebook and tried to keep the story going, even if it was only one or two hundred words at a time. Before the proliferation of word processors (yes, I was already writing way back when), I used to carry a notebook around with me and write in little snippets by hand all the time. I think it helped keep me focused on the story, and I think I'm going to try to start doing it again.

What else did I do? I knitted two and a half out of nine squares for a new afghan. I lay around the pool and in it, trying to stay cool. And I'm proud to say I had my daily devotions.

I don't know if I'll ever be an "every day" girl, but I'll be happy if I can just maintain my own steady pace.

Keep cool, everyone. It's supposed to be 102 degrees here tomorrow!

3 comments:

  1. Welcome home! The lego Loch Ness is cool! Very neat! And kudos to you for sticking with your daily stuff. I'll be checking back frequently to see how you incorporate the new things you find in scripture into your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you definitely have to read Wishing on Dandelions. I liked it even more than Watching the Tree Limbs. It's the perfect sequel.

    So did you have fun on your vacation? You know, this was a perfectly great summer, and then wham! hit with a heat wave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great that you kept up with your "every days" even while on vacation! I never seem to be able to do that. (Or rather, I never seem to choose to do that!) I have a hard enough time trying to do that when I'm at home. Thanks for the reminder of the importance of discipline even during times of relaxation.

    ReplyDelete