Friday, July 27, 2007

Contest Reminder and Other Friday Fun

The big drawing is almost here! On August 1, I'll draw the name of one lucky winner who will get to choose either: a $50 amazon.com gift certificate; a $50 Bath and Body Works gift card; or an iPod Shuffle. All subscribers and everyone who's left a comment since the beginning of the contest will be entered. For more details, click here.

Since it's Friday, I don't feel like being serious. So I thought I would show you some more fun things at my workplace. I've showed you the beautiful grounds a couple of times. Here are a couple of shots from the interior:

No, your eyes are not deceiving you. That is a life-size Yoda. (Actually, he may be larger than life-size. I never actually met Yoda in person). We do displays on all kinds of fun things at the library, and since several of us around here are Star Wars fans, we do a science fiction or SW display each summer.

The sad part is that most of the posters and publications--as well as the R2D2 talking alarm clock--belong to me. Last year, our ad for the display mentioned that we had SW memorabilia dating back decades. That's when it hit me. I've been collecting this stuff for decades!

Last year we also had a collection of model ships hanging from the ceiling over the display. My huge Millennium Falcon looked splendid up there. The man from the physical plant who came to hang them complained that some of the ships were missing parts or otherwise banged-up. I was very proud of my supervisor, who pointed out, "Well, duh! They've been in battle."



For helping out with the display, I received this Darth Tater keychain, of which I am extremely proud. He looked great on my desk until I added the sweater kitty pirate. Now he looks sort of intimidated. He looks like he intends to capture the pirate kitty and put him in handcuffs, but he isn't very confident about it. Kind of like me approaching editors at a writers conference. (Not that I have ever contemplated putting an editor in handcuffs. I promise! Even if that is possibly the only way to make them read my entire manuscript.)

Have a great weekend--and don't forget the contest.

6 comments:

  1. Too funny about tying up editors! 'Think it would work for the rest of us? Neat displays, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm probably one of the few people in the world who has never watched any of the Star Wars. Nor have I read any Harry Potter or seen those movies. Can you tell Sci-Fi isn't my thing? (Although I have seen Planet of the Apes, but that was simply to appease my husband!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL Darth Tater & Pirate Kitty look like they're ready to battle it out :) No need to enter my name in the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do your colleagues know you spend your work hours posing Darth Tater and Sweater Kitty and then taking pictures of them?

    I love Yoda- he looks like he's about to fly off and do a flip in the air.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And what makes you think I do this during work hours? I am perfectly capable of wasting my own time, as well! :)

    ReplyDelete