Sunday, July 8, 2007

Are Tomatoes a Good Excuse?

Just a couple of quick pictures for you. My husband's garden has been amazing this summer. While I have started knitting projects I haven't finished and struggled to produce a few good pages of my novel, he has grown enough food to feed our neighborhood out of a pretty small patch of ground.


This photo is a few weeks old. Since then, the tomato plants have grown taller than me, and boy have they produced!

These are my latest excuse for not writing. We couldn't let the tomatoes go bad, could we? We've had tomato sauce, spaghetti sauce, tomato sandwiches, dried tomatoes. Dave even made tomato ice cream. It wasn't bad, actually.

I wonder what my excuse can be this week?


8 comments:

  1. I think you might be pushing it a wee bit, Robin. LOL I do wonder though, why did he buy that many plants with just the two of you? Was he planning to feed the whole neighborhood? As for tomato ice cream, I'll just take your word for it. But hey, if you're counting the tomatoes as the excuse this week, you could go blackberry picking next week. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, I've heard of that tomato ice cream. You make that with those amazing Vita Mix machines, don't you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tomato ice cream? I think I'll pass!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish you were MY neighbor! LOL! Tomatoes are my favorite vegetable. (I know they say tomatoes are a fruit, but I refuse to call them that.)
    Tomato ice cream? That just ain't right.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tomatoes are a FRUIT?! Well, then, the ice cream makes perfect sense! So there!

    Kathleen, there really weren't very many tomato plants. But they just kept growing and producing, and growing...

    I wish my novel would do that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep. They're a fruit. I had a teacher who explained that anything with the seed in it is technically classified as a fruit. Excuse me, but squash and cucumbers are veggies in my book. I don't know what the correct criteria is, but Melanie's right about the tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And they're delicious too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My dad once made a tomato wine-seriously.

    It wasn't very popular.

    ReplyDelete