Thursday, December 18, 2008

Why Didn't Someone Tell Me?

One thing you will notice about me and my reading habits. I'm always playing catch-up. I'm constantly discovering "new" authors and books that other people were excited about months or even years ago. For a brief period of time I was cutting edge, when I was reviewing books for Novel Reviews, but then I went back to my old habits.

I spent October and November reading all seven of The Chronicles of Narnia books. For the first time! (They're very good, by the way. But you already knew that, right?)

Last week, in my quest to find another Christmas-themed audio book, I picked up The Christmas Secret by Anne Perry. My first Anne Perry book. I absolutely loved it! It's a cozy mystery so it didn't exactly keep you on the edge of your seat with danger and suspense, but the atmosphere--snowbound in an English village in the 1890s--and the period detail kept me riveted. When I finished, I wanted more. And turns out this Anne Perry person has loads of cozy Victorian mysteries out there. Who knew! Okay, everybody but me.

Still, I'm excited to find she has more Christmas books, too. I picked up The Christmas Guest at the library yesterday. So far it's hysterical, with the acid-tongued Grandmama Ellison being sent against her will to spend the Christmas holidays with her former daughter-in-law.

I also ran across the unabridged audio of The Fellowship of the Ring, which I may tackle right after Christmas. No, I've never read Tolkien, either.

What else am I missing, I wonder?

6 comments:

  1. Just in case you haven't read him yet, I MUST bring up Randy Alcorn. He wrote Deadline and Dominion years ago and just now came out with a follow-up book called Deception. (His other books are also fabulous.)It's the best book I've read in a long time. So witty, sarcastic, multi-layered, hillarious, and Christian.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read the Narnia books last year, Robin. Our oldest daughter read them when she was in middle school, but other two kids were quite a bit younger and we never read them together as a family. Now I wish I had. My oldest daughter has started reading them to her 3 kids now. And I agree with Christina that Randy Alcorn has some great fiction books, but my favorite one of his is non fiction--his book called Heaven! Happy Reading, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm probably the only person who doesn't even feel tempted to read the Narnia books or the Tolkien books. I would have read the Narnia books to my daughter, but she wasn't interested. She read a little bit of the first one and said it was freaky. But she loves to read and I'm happy to let her read what she likes! She loves Donita K. Paul's Dragon Keeper series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it sure is fun to "discover" a new author, isn't it? I would agree with Christina's recommendation. She passed the book on to me when she finished it, and I loved it so much that I ordered it for our cop son for Christmas. I'm sure he's really going to appreciate the writing.

    We read Fellowship of the Ring to said son when he was 5 or 6, and he read it on his own at age 8. Not many kids can say they've done that!

    Have a very merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OOOooh, have you started Fellowship yet? I think you'll love it. Probably more mired with poetry and history than others you've read lately, but awesome nonetheless. And I know you love Sam, and he is so much more developed in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And I am always playing catch up, too, which is why I'm commenting on this about 2 weeks after everybody else.

    ReplyDelete