Monday, February 11, 2008

Win a Copy of Rotten Reviews and Rejections




Last September at ACFW, keynote speaker James Scott Bell occasionally quoted from a book called Rotten Rejections. I couldn't believe there was actually a book called that, but if was real, I wanted it.

Sure enough, I found it on amazon.com. Actually, the version I bought is called Pushcart's Complete Rotten Reviews and Rejections. It combines three smaller volumes that were published earlier and it's just what it sounds like--a compilation of bad reviews and mean rejection letters of books that have since become classics. Or at least sold lots of copies.

I love it! What a morale booster. To know that reviewers said that Emily Dickinson was destined for oblivion, that Faulkner was a "minor talent," and that Dickens would not be remembered in 50 years' time . I love the statement about Wuthering Heights: "the only consolation which we have in reflecting upon it is that it will never be generally read." Those are from the reviews.

The rejection letters are even better. Having had many editors explain to me why my books will never sell, I wanted to laugh with glee when I saw that editors in the past said the same thing about books that went on to sell millions--that are still selling after decades.

My favorite story was about a journalist who typed up a "manuscript" of a novel that had won the National Book Award only a few months earlier. He then submitted it to editors and literary agents under his own name, as an experiment. All of them rejected it--and lots of them explained why it would never sell. Even the publishing company who originally published it rejected it!

In another story, a publishing company accepted a book for publication and sent it to an artist to do illustrations. After completing the illustrations, the artist sent the manuscript back to them. The publishers apparently thought he was submitting the manuscript, because they sent him a rejection letter for it!

But here is my personal favorite, from a Chinese economic journal (p. 212): "We have read your manuscript with boundless delight. If we were to publish your paper, it would be impossible for us to publish any work of lower standard. And as it is unthinkable that in the next thousand years we shall see its equal, we are, to our regret, compelled to return your divine composition, and to beg you a thousand times to overlook our short sight and timidity." None of the rejection letters I've received used those exact words, but I'm sure that's what they meant.

I'd love to share this little morale booster with one of you out there, particularly if you're a writer in need of encouragement. Even if you're not a writer, the book is fun. If you'd like to win a copy for yourself, leave a comment ON THIS POST to that effect, and I'll hold a drawing on February 29th.

Good luck! I simply must end with one more, from page 56 about Rudyard Kipling: "I'm sorry, Mr. Kipling, but you just don't know how to use the English language."
Quotes are from Pushcart's Complete Rotten Reviews & Rejections, edited by BillHenderson & Andre Bernard. New York: Pushcart Press, 1998.

14 comments:

  1. Hi Robin

    Please enter me for the drawing for Rotten Reviews and Rejections. Thank you for putting the spotlight on this fun morale booster.

    Happy writing

    Ruth Dell
    tonydell@mweb.co.za
    tonydell@mweb.co.za

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Robin,
    You can enter me, too! Oh, this is so incredibly funny. I also love to discover the sheer number of rejections a now-famous author received before publication. I think the author of Click Clack Moo, Cows Who Type (which was one of the few picture books ever to hit the NYT Bestsellers list) got over 100 rejections on that and other picture book mss before placing it. Including ones for the book in question that said kids wouldn't "get" it because they don't know what typewriters are.

    Thank you for starting my day with a smile :)))

    (ps. I trust you already know my addy ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Robin, I checked this book out at my library not too long ago. It was a great morale booster. I kept reading them out loud to my husband and laughing, but he never laughed. I think it depressed him! But I loved it.

    You don't have to enter me in the drawing. I just wanted to comment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This does sound like a book every writer should read.

    Please enter me in the contest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got to read that book! I have enough letters to fill my own, I think, although none are quite as fun as those.

    At least I've gone from the form ones to personal comments. "Love your writing, but the manuscript isn't for us at this time." Sigh.

    So pleae enter me, too.

    ane@anemulligan.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Robin, it sounds like a fun book. Enter me, please.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ane, I hear you! My favorite rejection so far was the one where they gave me an A- on my book and then rejected it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, Robin, I'm always interested in winning a book, so count me in, please! I remember JSB quoting from it at the conference, and there were really funny stories in it. I think we all need encouragement like that

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd love to win it,though I think my husband would be depressed by it, too! But hope springs eternal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it!!! I'm sending a link to this blog to everybody in my writing group. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Robin,
    Please enter me also, for the drawing!! It sounds great!

    Patti
    Pattian@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Robin, I'd love to be entered in your contest, too. Thank you for telling these stories which make me smile, smile, smile. Someday, I'll bet you'll be able to send in your reviews and rejections for a similar book and people will chuckle, knowing how well-known an author you've become!

    Blessings from France, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  13. Robin,
    I NEED this book. LOL! I've been licking my wounds for months after a rejection that was particularly rough. Stopped writing all together for most of 7 months. I've come to my senses (I.E. Stopped throwing fits about it) and am working on my 4th novel.
    Katie from Albuquerque

    ReplyDelete