Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Jane Austen, Part II: A Sad Mystery

I teach library research classes to college students. A few days ago I was running some sample searches in literature databases, preparing to teach an English class. Since I was reading Just Jane by Nancy Moser at the time, I used "Jane Austen" as a sample search. In the first item I pulled up, I noticed her date of death: 1817. I felt a little stab of sorrow, as though I'd stumbled across an obituary for an old friend. I had just reached the year of 1811 in Moser's novel. Jane was thriving and in the process of publishing her first book, Sense and Sensibility. She was only in her thirties, finally realizing the dreams of a lifetime. So what in the world happened to her in the next few years?

I read a couple of biographical articles and they frustrated the literary detective in me. They merely said she died of an illness at age 41. So I turned to other databases looking for an answer, including indexes of medical articles.

Apparently I'm not the only one fascinated by this mystery. Doctors and medical experts have been speculating for years. The common story is that Jane Austen became ill in 1816 and struggled with her condition for about a year before passing away. Symptoms, according to a few sketchy letters, included "biliousness," back pain, dark discolorations of the skin, weakness and fatigue. In a British Medical Journal article in 1964, Zachary Cope reached a conclusion that stood for many years. Jane Austen died of Addison's disease, which destroys the adrenal glands. Other doctors today think Jane's condition may have been Hodgkin's disease, a kind of cancer. Annette Upfal, author of an article called "Jane Austen's Lifelong Health Problems and Final Illness," says that "both diseases were unidentified and untreatable in Austen’s lifetime, and the outcome was always fatal." (Medical Humanities, 2005)

Upfal uses scraps of information from Austen's own letters and those of friends and relatives to try to solve the mystery. Upfal also addresses the question of why so many people feel a need to answer this question. "The futility of this death from an illness that now offers recovery, with the image of a dying writer struggling to use a pencil...and above all, regret for the novels that were yet to be written, have added a sense of pathos to Austen’s iconic status."

I myself just felt sadness that Austen died when she finally seemed to be accomplishing all her dreams. I so identified with the struggle, the waiting, the years passing by that she experienced in her journey to become an author. In the final part of Just Jane, Nancy Moser has Austen praying the Bible verse asking for God to "restore the years that the locusts have eaten." Once again, I felt astounded, because I have often prayed that verse--and in connection to my writing!

Perhaps I'm looking at this the wrong way. After all, God did bring her dreams to fruition. Her dreams are still living today, in all of us who read her books and live in the wonderful worlds she creates.

What writer could ask for more?

3 comments:

  1. I think about how Jane had no computer or word processor, no way to revise her manuscripts except to recopy them over and over. Writing a book is a long and tedious process, but even more so for her. But in her short lifetime she wrote, what? Five or six great novels? Amazing and wonderful. We have no excuse today. We have so many resources to help us grow and improve our work, not to mention technological advances like computers to make it faster and easier. It inspires me to strive to be better, the best writer I can be. I want to take advantage of all the tools I can--since I'm not as brilliant as Jane Austen! I take advantage of the internet, online critique partners, books on the writing craft by people who know a whole lot more than me. The list could go on.

    And so I try to get better. To be like Jane!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Just Jane, as well. It was great.

    And when the book reached the part where Jane was contemplating selling all her rights to Pride and Prejudice, just to get it published, I sat there and went, "No. NOOOOOOOOOOOO! Don't do it."

    And then she did it. And I couldn't help wondering what she'd have thought if she could have seen the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lost a writer friend last year and it made me realize that I hope I don't leave this earth without seeing my writing dream come true.

    Like Jane my friend, Katherine D. Jones leaves a legacy for others to enjoy.

    I stopped by to meet the Queen of Perservance. I guess I'll call my self the princess. I'm not giving up on the dream.

    ReplyDelete