Thursday, September 6, 2007

Happy Birthday to our Panda Cub!

I've mentioned before my fascination with Atlanta's giant panda cub, Mei Lan (rough translation, Atlanta Beauty). Only a few giant panda cubs have been born in the United States, so we're very excited to have her here in Georgia. Today she's celebrating her first birthday! I wish I could be there for the fun, but there's just too much going on this time of year.

Mei Lan weighed approximately four ounces when she was born, and they compared her size to a stick of butter. Hence the nickname we gave her where I work: Butter Baby. She weighs over 57 pounds now, but considering that her mom weighs around 250, she's still pretty small. And definitely cute.

If you want to see for yourself, check out the photo gallery of Mei Lan on Zoo Atlanta's website: http://www.zooatlanta.com/animals_giant_panda_cub_gallery.htm.

You can also watch her live from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays on Zoo Atlanta's Panda Cam. And then there's the blog with updates. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Okay, I'll be the one to say it: Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! She is cute. I like your name for her, Robin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying to talk my hubby into taking us to Atlanta during Christmas break. I'm dying to see the pandas! Our oldest daughter is 9, and she's crazy for gorillas. She wants to be like Penny Patterson when she grows up and teach sign language to gorillas. :-)

    ReplyDelete