Friday, May 3, 2013

My Multi Fandom Quilt Progress


Short and sweet today! (You're relieved, aren't you?) I've had a lot going on, so I thought I'd just take a moment to share my progress on another project that has taken a lot of patience and hanging in there--my multi fandom wall quilt.

I started learning to paper piece a couple of years ago after discovering a site called Fandom in Stitches. Their free quilt patterns are amazing! I pictured making not one but two massive fandom quilts, with blocks from all the different fandoms I'm interested in. One would be for me, one for my niece, Kristi.

After about five blocks, reality set in. The center Aslan/Narnia block and the top lefthand one of the Return of the Jedi poster took weeks and weeks and every bit of patience and perseverance I could scrounge.

Then I discovered the wonder of fusible applique. I did the silver doe and the lily (Harry Potter) out of my head, except for using one of Fandom in Stitches' lily patterns for applique instead of piecing. The top middle one from Pirates of the Carribbean was a lot of fun--just my imagination and appliqueing snips of fabric. All in all, there are blocks from Star Wars, The Chronicls of Narnia, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, The Hunger Games (Mockingjay), and Pirates.

These are just raw blocks pinned to my wall. I'll keep you posted on the progress of the actual quilt. Still a lot of work to go!

2 comments:

  1. Are you going to add any fairy tales or something from the Wizard of Oz? I remember our talking about my helping you work on an Oz quilt at one point. The Aslan block is great! I'll have to check out that website for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I decided Wizard of Oz and several other things I originally intended will have to be separate.

    ReplyDelete