Monday, February 18, 2013

Why I'm Coming Back

I am absolutely thrilled to hear from so many of my wonderful cyber-friends again! So touched you responded. I have missed interacting with all of you.

Which is one of the reasons I decided to start blogging again. I’m lonely!

Seriously, I haven’t been networking much of late, other than a quick check-in to Facebook occasionally. And my sister fusses at me for not posting enough there.

But for awhile there, I was putting more time into writing blogs—and reading blogs—than I was into my actual writing. With a full-time job on top of all that, something had to go. So I decided to just concentrate on writing for a little while.

That little while turned out to be longer than I expected, for a number of reasons. But I did do a lot of writing. I’ve worked with a professional editor on a complete overhaul of one of my older novels, and I’m a couple of scenes away from finishing a new one. And guess what? I’m STILL not published!

But there are some developments, including a proposal or two out there in which they ask about my online activities to build a platform. So there’s reason number two for blogging: I guess I should actually have some online activity to report, not just a dormant site or two.

And now for reason number three. I called myself “The Queen of Perseverance” sort of facetiously, of course—but also because the major thing that God has wanted me to learn in life is how to wait. How to have patience and trust during the waiting. Generally, that’s been how to wait for good things, and on occasion (as in the case of having children), how to let go.

I have a totally new waiting and perseverance situation going on now, as I spend another 40 hours or so every week (in addition to the 40-hour a week job) taking care of my elderly parents. My dad has dementia from microvascular ischemia in his brain (sort of like constant mini strokes), and this has been going on for years. This experience has taken the patience and trust and hanging-in-there to a whole new level. It’s made me want to start sharing again…sometimes because I’ve learned a thing or two, or I’ve had an interesting revelation. Sometimes just because I want to give a huge primal scream and can’t figure anything out and want some input from my wise friends out there.

So anyway, hope you’ll hang in there with me! And let me hear how things are going with you. If any of you are still blogging and want to mention it in the comments, I’d love to start following you again, too.



6 comments:

  1. My mom-in-law, an only child, is taking care of her aging mom and childless, divorced uncle. They both have big homes and both expect her to move in with them to take care of them.

    Did I mention she's married? :)

    I so admire what you're doing for your parents. I see some of what my MIL is going through and it isn't easy. Hang in there! I'll pray for you as I think of your family.

    I'd love to hear how the edit went. I would love to work with an editor in the near future, and I know which one that is. But it's going to cost a lot. It will be worth it. But right now the money isn't there. So saving my pennies. Maybe I should pray about that too. Hm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taking care of aging parents has to be really tough, Robin and Sally! Right now I have a lot of stress in my life too, although I won't go into it, and it does affect other things in life and what I have energy for! So I guess it's all about priorities and maybe even asking for help and making changes.
    God has definitely used my writing to teach me to trust him more. This year the thing he seems to be teaching me is Peace. I didn't realize how much I was NOT tapping into God's peace that he promised to give us until I took on the word "peace" as my word for the year. Wow, I really need his peace! And I've found that all I have to do to get it is to ask for it and trust in it. It's right there for me.
    God provides. What we need, when we need it. But sometimes we just have to accept it and receive it. Oh, and let go and realize our help comes from the Lord, not from ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard dealing with elderly parents....my heart goes out to you.
    God does use us wherever we are....have you ever thought of writing a non fiction book based on what you've had to deal with? It may be what people need to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sally, I can so understand what your mother-in-law is going through. Will try to email you with more info, especially about the edit. I'm very happy with it but it was pretty expensive, yes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melanie, you are so right. It's not the circumstances that will do you in, it's the inner turmoil. Some days are just bad--but most days I've been absolutely amazed at the peace and joy that God has given me regardless of the circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Judy! I know you understand. Who knows, maybe a book will be in order one of these days, when I'm not so in the middle of things.

    ReplyDelete