Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Story Quest

I recently started reading a book by Madeleine L'Engle called The Rock That is Higher: Story as Truth. I was excited when I started the book because I found another book of hers--Walking on Water: Reflections on Faith and Art--so inspiring.

Sadly, I've been disappointed in The Rock That is Higher. It just wasn't exactly what I expected. But the quote on the cover blew me away:

"If we open ourselves to story, to fairy tale, fantasy, myth, novel,we cannot help being aware of the ultimate unexplainableness of the deepest depths. We know we are on a quest, but we do not know the entire nature of the quest, nor where it is going to take us. . ."

Somewhere in that quote is the essence of why I read. Why I write. How the whole experience is in some mysterious way connected, for me, to God and Eternity. I'd love to find a name for the new blog somewhere in there, but all I could think of was Story Quest.

Any other ideas out there? And just in case you've forgotten, comments will get you an entry into this weekend's drawing for a $15.00 amazon.com gift card.

2 comments:

  1. What about 'Dimensions--Exploring Art and Eternity'
    or
    Dimensions in Art and Eternity

    (just had the idea from your Madeleine l'Engle quote...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lizzieswanhouse, love the ideas! Be sure I can get in touch with you in case you win the drawing. Either send me your email addy or keep watching for contest results.

    ReplyDelete