Saturday, February 21, 2009

An Easier Way to Enter the Contest

When I asked you to enter the drawing for a $15.00 amazon.com gift certificate by suggesting ideas and names for my upcoming blog, I obviously stunned you into silence. Things have never been so quiet around here. Never before have my attempts at bribery come up so empty-handed.

Okay, the drawing is going to be held in about a week, so I'm giving you another chance. I'm going to list the ideas that Kristi and I have been kicking around so far. You can just tell me which one(s) you like, and you'll get an entry in the drawing.

First, I have to tell you about the fish angle. Yes, you read that correctly.

When Kristi was thinking of starting her own blog, she was going to call herself "Little Fish," because she feels like such a tiny little fish about to tackle the huge pond of Hollywood. And then I often think of myself as a fish out of water, because my poor writing never seems to fit in. It's too commercial to be literary and too literary to be commercial. Too Christian to sell in the ABA and too secular for the CBA. Too much suspense for the romance genre, not enough to be pure suspense. You get the picture.

So last week I had a brainstorm. "Fiction, Faith, and Fish"! I loved it. I loved the way it sounds, and it's intriguing. Kristi could be Little Fish and I could be Fish Out of Water. Only trouble was that we're not just going to talk about fiction. Kristi's first interests are film and theater and acting. And Fiction, Film, Faith and Fish starts getting too long and complicated.

So I started looking for some other words that start with F that have something to do with the broader idea of telling a story. I got things like:

Fantasy
Fancy
Flight of Fancy
Fable
Figment
(And then there were Fib and Fabrication, but do we really want to go there?)

From that, I had an idea like: Figments, Faith and Fish. Under the title we could write:
Figments: Of the imagination, whether expressed as story, film, drama or image.
Faith: In a God who created us in His own image, so that we possess the desire to create worlds of our own.
Fish: One little fish about to try her luck in the big pond of Hollywood. One writer fish who always seems to be out of water ETC ETC YOU GET THE IDEA.

(Hmmm...from reading the above, I also like "In His Image.")

Other ideas being kicked around:

Flight of Faith, Fiction Fish
Flight of Fiction, Faithful Fish
Flight of Fantasy, Fish of Faith
Flight of Fiction, Fish of Faith.

Earlier, we suggested
The Joyous Journey (from Surprised by Joy, the C.S. Lewis book)
Story Quest
Between Two Worlds

What do you think?

Maybe you'll help us get this nailed down from this post. If not, I'll share some quotes that influenced some of these ideas and give you yet another chance to provide input. Thanks for your help!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Robin and Kristi,
    I loved Flight of Fiction, FIsh of faith. I was also intruiged by some of your other words a couple of other ideas that came to me...
    figment of fantasy
    fancy fish
    fare of fish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm. You've got a lot of good idea here. How about Fishing for Figments? I also think the fiction could work because most plays, etc. are fiction or figments of our imaginations! I am going on a mission trip next month with a group called "Goin' Fishing." It was started by the principal of the Christian school I attended when he retired, so when people asked him how he would spend his retirement he could say, "Goin' Fishing" meaning fishing for men!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your idea of Figments, Faith, and Fish. Or how about "Artistic Fish of Faith"? LOL! I've never been very good at titles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Figments, Faith and Fiction. You don't want something too long; you want it easy for your readers to say or refer to. MHO, of course. :)

    ReplyDelete