Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Fear of Blessing--Again!

I'm reading through the Chronological Bible this year. (I use the term "this year" loosely. At the rate I'm going, I figure this one-year Bible is going to take me about 17 months.) I've been reporting to you when I come across things that strike me as particularly relevant to our favorite topics: waiting, persevering, achieving your dream. Last week I read through a passage that I blogged about last spring. I was amazed that it was relevant when I came across it last May--and just as relevant right now. So, just in case some of you need to hear it again, I'm repeating this blog about David and the Ark of the Covenant.

A couple of weeks ago, my daily Bible reading brought me to some passages in 2 Samuel. In chapter 5, David is having a great time. Here are the NIV headings for the passages: "David Becomes King over Israel," "David Conquers Jerusalem," and "David Defeats the Philistines." He's on a roll, so he decides to take the Ark of the Covenant to Jerusalem.

During the trip, the oxen carrying the Ark stumble. One of David's men, Uzzah, takes hold of the Ark to steady it, which seems a perfectly reasonable thing to do. Unfortunately, God had given strict instructions as to who could touch the Ark, and how it should be treated. Uzzah was struck dead for his irreverence--and David was struck with fear. "How can the Ark of the Lord ever come to me?" (2 Sam. 6:9 NIV).

So David left the Ark right there where it was, with someone named Obed-Edom. Then he had to watch as God poured out his blessings on Obed-Edom and his entire household and know that, because of his fear, he was missing all that.

I'm in the process of starting yet another new novel, and I'm finding it really difficult. Some of that excitement I usually have at starting a new project just isn't there. Sometimes I ask myself, Have I done this once too often? Where's my passion? What am I afraid of?

I know I'm afraid of the rejection, of hitting the usual dead end. But sometimes I read blog posts and emails from published writers and think--what if I did succeed? Would I want to have a contract that required me to produce three books over the next year or two, instead of being able to take my time? And if I write books for the Christian market, what if I say the wrong thing? What if I misrepresent God, if my intentions are just as good as poor old Uzzah's--but I turn out to be just as irreverent and mistaken? Sure I'm afraid people will never read my work, but sometimes I'm even more afraid they will.

Even starting this blog was very scary for me. (See previous paragraph. Same principle.) It's very scary to reach out to people and make yourself vulnerable like that. But I finally decided, I don't want someone else to get my blessing! I'm just praying God will give me courage, and show me how to handle his Ark the right way.

3 comments:

  1. Talk about scary! I took nine kids between the ages of 6 and 13 to camp, spent three days and nights in the woods of Alabama next to a lake that stank of rotting fish--and something else I couldn't identify, but it stank REAL BAD--and I was scared the whole time! It turned out okay. The worst thing that happened was that we somehow left one girl's duffel bag--all her things--at camp. Counselor guilt. And I got stung by a bee on my leg. I think I'm allergic. It's still huge and red and itchy and painful. Sniff-sniff. But I survived, with God's help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, this was applicable to me today. God is opening up my writing-at the same moment the economy seems to want to kill it. Ha-ha.

    It only means I need to write THAT much better. I feel so intimidated that I'll do it wrong. I've also wondered if I could write under deadline.

    I was reading the posting "Speaking of Fires" that you posted last year [the thing I'd shared with the loop] and when I realize what exactly God meant when he "spoke" to me through that fire...I'm simply overwhelmed.

    Thank you for this great teaching on David and the Ark of the Covenant. It really was a blessing to me.

    Tiffany Colter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your wisdom on this passage, Robin. And kudos to you for stepping past your own fear to bless others! May we all do that, in our writing, and every aspect of our lives. love rose

    ReplyDelete