Friday, June 20, 2008

"Go Slowly So You Do It Right"

In his sermon a couple of weeks ago, my pastor mentioned that this month marks the 60th anniversary of the Crazy Horse Memorial in South Dakota. Actually, that's not phrased exactly right. It's been sixty years since sculptor Korczak Ziolkowski started on the project, a mountain carving that will dwarf the one at Mt. Rushmore.



But the carving is nowhere near finished. In fact, a site called roadsidephotos.com says, "Ziolkowski died in 1982; with luck, his great-great-grandchildren will live long enough to dedicate the finished sculpture." And yet, when Ziolkowski was dying, he told his wife, "You must work on the mountain -- but go slowly so you do it right."



What an amazing attitude, especially today, in our generation--because the dedication to this cause didn't end with Ziolkowski himself. It continues with his family. Seven of his ten children have remained in the area, working for the project and the Foundation. At eighty-two, his wife soldiers on. The vision is huge. Not only will the carving, if and when it is finished, be the largest in the world, but the site will include the American Indian University and Medical Training Center.



My pastor pointed out that God's attitude toward us is like Ziolkowski's with his carving. We humans usually get impatient. We get discouraged and abandon our projects. We want to complete things quickly and move on. We want to rush to the victory and get our accolades.



But God works with us for a lifetime. Paul tells us he's confident that "he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion." (Phil. 1:6, NIV)

I'm grateful for these two reminders that it's okay if my dreams take awhile. That it's all right if I "go slowly so I do it right." That sometimes a dream is worth at least a lifetime.

4 comments:

  1. I needed to hear that. My new writing project is not as easy as I thought it would be and is taking a little longer than I expected starting out. That is such an encouragement. Thanks!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true, Robin. God doesn't hurry. He doesn't get stressed, but I do! I was really stressed yesterday, because it's taking me so long to finish revising my book, and I don't ever seem to have any real blocks of time to work on it now or in the future, as far as the eye can see! It's so frustrating, but why? Because I want it done today. Because I want to hurry up and get it in the hands of an editor who will publish it. Ha! It could be years and years before that ever happens (although I like to believe it won't be that long).

    But I also get frustrated by how little I accomplish in a day's time, in any department. I feel like I'm going slowly, true enough, but I'm not doing anything right!

    Sorry, I was really frustrated yesterday. Trying to pray about it all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I was just hit with that yesterday, Robin. God's timing has not been my timing, but it's been for my own good, for sure.

    So going slowly and doing everything right is a big deal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! This is powerful!!! I haven't even heard of this before.

    ReplyDelete