Monday, April 21, 2008

The Queen Visits the Faire

I knew I was going to enjoy the Renaissance Festival this past Saturday when I found this t-shirt right inside the gate. Obviously, these people understood royalty, and I would no doubt feel right at home.

Of course, I was a bit miffed when I attended the joust and saw that some other young upstart was sitting on the pavilion and calling herself Queen. Imagine!


I've been taking my niece, Kristi, to the Renaissance Festival since she was a little girl. Now she works there as a Kissing Wench. I'm so proud! (I really am, actually. She's about to get a degree in Theatre and Performance Studies. I discovered that the actors playing these characters rehearse for weeks and are chosen for their ability to improvise.)

You knew I'd have to find a few pirates, didn't you? Even I was surprised to find Captain Jack himself!


This guy was a bit of a shock after Jack Sparrow, but he was pleasant enough if you could get past the toothy smile.

All in all, a very pleasant way to spend a Saturday. Even if my sister did force me onto a kiddie ride--a big swing in the form of a ship. The most embarrassing part was that I had to beg the lad pushing it to slow down, ere I threw up on him. (At least I used proper Renaissance language for it.)

4 comments:

  1. Hey, Robin! I'm going to my first Renaissance Festival in about three weeks! I can't wait. It's the Tennessee Renaissance Festival outside Nashville.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate I missed it! One of these years I'm going to make it. I'm surprised you didn't get your picture made with Captain Jack though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, I can so relate to no longer having the guts to do any ride that remotely moves.

    So does your niece, the kissing wench, have to kiss--strangers???

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is hillarious. OK That is the first pic of myself I've had the guts to look at since working there. I had this image in my head that I looked pretty good and I had confidence, and I didn't want to see a picture and have that change my confidence level, but that one doesn't look too bad. I'm going to refer Ik the Troll to this blog so he can see that blurb about him.

    ReplyDelete