Friday, November 2, 2007

50,000 and Counting

In spite of all the trouble I've had lately reaching that elusive "write-every-day-and-achieve-a-certain-number-of-words" routine, I was thrilled to discover this week that I broke the 50,000 word mark on my novel in progress. Maybe even better, I think I've had some decent ideas for how it should end.

My first draft is really sort of a long outline. I'm a seat-of-the-pants writer, so frankly the ending is going to be a surprise to me, too. I can't wait until I can start the second draft, know where the thing is going, and start turning it into a "real" book.

So if there are others of you out there having a hard time writing as much as you think you should, and you're feeling discouraged, take heart. I may not be able to "keep up with the joneses" and turn out 2,000 words a day, but I've finished five other novels and I'll finish this one, too. I'll get there. And so will you!