Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Does Your State Have a Virtual Library?

Did you know that most states have a library chock full of fascinating resources that their citizens can access online, free of charge?

Here in Georgia, our virtual library is called GALILEO, and though I might be a little bit prejudiced, I think it's fabulous. Georgia residents get a password from their public library, and then they can log into hundreds of resources: full-text articles from journals, magazines, and newspapers; digital displays from state archives; government documents; reproductions of historic diaries and newspapers; online encyclopedias, dictionaries, and other reference books.

GALILEO even provides a number of databases--plus the Digital Library of Georgia--that guests can use.

Most states today have some kind of online, virtual library for their citizens. I'm trying to search them all out for you and provide a listing of links on my research wiki: Facts for Fiction. I'm finding that the resources as well as the policies for accessing them vary widely from state to state. So you'll just have to check out the ones that interest you and see what they have.

Here are the states I have so far:


Alabama (AVL)
Alaska State Library
Colorado (CVL)
Connecticut (iCONN)
Delaware (DelAWARE)
Georgia (GALILEO)
Georgia (Digital Library of Georgia)

I will keep adding states to the list, and I'll keep you (and Facts for Fiction) updated.

If you have information to add about your state, please let me know.

6 comments:

  1. I think a better link to an Alaska Virtual Library would be http://sled.alaska.edu/.

    I say this as someone who is a librarian in Alaska.

    Thanks for noticing us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost forgot. The Indiana State Library maintains a list of state virtual libraries/database projects at http://www.inspire.net/otherstates.html.

    But it's fairly hidden on their web site, so I think there's value to your listing.

    Take care and God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daniel, Thanks so much for the wonderful information. I am going to check out both links and add the info. It's great to hear from another librarian. Are you a writer, too?

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Robin,

    I'm a very, very minor non-fiction writer. I was a co-author on Tapping State Government Information Sources and I had a one page note published in Documents to the People only because I was reacting to someone with a much greater reputation than I.

    Other than that, I blog too much.

    I have huge respect for fiction writers because you all can create whole new worlds and possibilities while us non-fiction folks compile and comment.

    Best of luck in your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Robin:

    Hello friend librarian! Well, I'm not actually an MLS-librarian, I just run our libraries' website: www.lioninc.org/ledyard. By day I'm a business writer. By dream, I'm a fiction writer - in print or on TV. :)

    Anyhoo, thanks for plugging iconn.org! And for your blog to inspire dreamers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a librarian in Texas. Our state program is TexShare. This is more of a way to access physical libraries than a virtual library. There are plans for a state virtual library.

    http://www.tsl.state.tx.us/lot/VLoverviewlib.html

    I just joined ACFW this week. I have plans to write, but a novel seems overwhelming. I am enjoying reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete