Monday, April 15, 2013

I Set Another Waiting Record

I can't swear this is a record--but if any of you have ever waited longer than two years to hear that you placed in a writing contest, please let me know.

Seriously...God obviously wants me to learn how to wait!

A couple of years ago, I wrote on my other blog how I discovered the Harry Potter books in 2008, and credit them with reviving my imagination and my writing. I have to confess that, even at my ripe old age, I started reading fan fiction at Mugglenet--which led to my deciding to try my hand at writing it. Way, WAY back in my youth, I used to write Star Wars fan fiction, and I have to tell you, writing fiction for appreciative fans was in many ways a lot more fulfilling than trying to write stuff to sell.

In June of 2011, Mugglenet had one of their frequent contests, in which they had "prompts" for the entries. As I recall, the prompt I chose was for a mystery story, which had to include the following: an item missing from a locked room, and the only clues are mugs on a table and blue beads on the floor. (It's been so long, I can't remember exactly, but something like that.)

The entries closed, and...the wait began. And went on, and on. The judging never happened. I forgot about it.

Two days ago, I received word that my entry came in second!

Somehow I have a feeling that if The Queen hadn't entered, the judging would have happened in a month! In fact, the judge apologized and said that they have contests all the time and this kind of delay had never happened before. I hope she doesn't find out what the difference might have been this time around.

Anyway, it's still fun to find out that an old lady like myself could write a story those younglings over at Mugglenet liked. If any of you like Harry Potter and want to check it out, here's the link to my story, called Funny Business. (By Chocolate in the Library--that's me!)



3 comments:

  1. Way to go! That was a long wait. Congrats! I just read the Harry Potter series myself this past year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so awesome! Going to read it as soon as I can!!!

    ReplyDelete