Thursday, January 24, 2008

Speaking Wickedly for God

In my Chronological Bible reading for January 22, a passage from Job 13 struck me. (The events of Job may have taken place very early, perhaps around the time of Abraham, so I'm already reading about this poor man's trials.) After literally losing everything including family, wealth, and physical well-being, Job's so-called friends come to comfort him. Their idea of comfort is telling him he has obviously sinned or God wouldn't be doing this to him. When Job protests that he is innocent and has done nothing to deserve his fate, they continue to "speak for God," telling him God would never be unfair as he is suggesting. Therefore, Job must have sinned, and God is punishing him and demanding his repentance.


Job then warns the men of the danger of speaking falsely for God--even when you're trying to slant things in his favor. The NLT version I was reading put it this way: "Are you defending God by means of lies and dishonest arguments?" The NIV says, "Will you speak wickedly on God's behalf? Will you speak deceitfully for him?" According to Job, God doesn't like you speaking for Him and getting it wrong, even if you're doing it out of good intentions. Job says "you will be in serious trouble with him if even in your hearts you slant your testimony in his favor."


As a writer who hopes to demonstrate Christian principles through her stories (and even on this little blog), I took this warning to heart. My characters often talk about God's nature and what he would want them to do in a given situation. It's a solemn thing to "speak for God" that way, even in a fluffy little fiction story.

I've heard a similar warning put another way, something like, "Never make yourself out to be more merciful than God." I remember after Hurricane Katrina, how so many people were eager to speak up for God and absolve him of any "wrongdoing." God doesn't want innocent people to suffer, they said, and so the storm wasn't his will. He would never allow such a thing to happen. By the time these well-meaning folks got through, the god they were defending didn't seem to have much power of any kind. That's slanting things in God's favor--and taking him out of control in the process. It's assuming we know as much as God and always know what he's doing. Let me state for the record that I have no idea why Hurricane Katrina occurred--but I still believe God is sovereign and in complete control.

Job didn't know what was going on. But he knew he didn't have all the facts. And neither did his puffed-up friends, who were so eager to tell him what God intended by his trials.

Those of us who write fiction sometimes put our poor characters through trials that would make Job lose patience. Those characters want to know why God is doing these things to them, and all of a sudden, we find ourselves speaking for God through our work. After reading Job 13, that's quite a humbling thought for me.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Robin,
    I would love to hear your opinion of the Christian novel "Outcasts of Skagaray," by Andrew Clarke. In particular, do you find the female characters to be convincing?
    best wishes with your own writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi again Robin,
    If I'm not taking up too much space, I just had to compare notes briefly. My wife and I love Star Trek, and have been watching old episodes on DVD. The story of how we met shows an element of divine intervention, also. It would seem to be against the odds for us to get together, but it was God's will. God bless you and your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. A very potent post to read this morning. How funny we're both looking at the same book. Yesterday, I read chapters 38-42 where God reveals Himself to Job then deals with Job's friends and commands Job to pray for them. It's a very sobering look at our heavenly Father. With all this talk about a loving God, people so often lose sight of the fact that He also demands to be revered and honored. He is sovereign, as you said, and far above us. Thanks for the wise reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very thought-provoking, Robin. Thanks. :-)

    In my WIP, lots of people presume to speak for God, and they mostly get it wrong. I guess I'm twisted, but I'm enjoying showing how wrong we can be, and have been, about God.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've just finished Job, too. Good points, Robin.

    I typically don't care for Job because it's a sad story, but I read the whole thing in about three days this time and found so much encouragement in it. It really amazed me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's true what you say. People can confuse THEOCRACY (rule by God) with ECCLESIOCRACY (rule by church members who assume to speak with God's authority.) The Puritans of Salem may have made that mistake, and the medieval church which conducted the Inquisition.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW!!!!!!!!!!! I hadn;t thought of that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great comments everyone and fantastic post Robin! I have yet to read this book but I would definitely like to know more about other people's thoughts on this book.

    ReplyDelete